Dr. Alexander Lippisch designed this ramjet powered interceptor in late
1944, much of the research coming from his work on the DM-1 test glider
(see below). The wings were sharply swept back at 60 degrees, and there
was a single large fin and rudder in which the cockpit was located. The
ramjet was fed by a circular intake that protruded from the nose, and exhausted
beneath the vertical fin at the rear. Research in the DVL high-speed windtunnel
indicated that the P.13a had outstanding stability up to the maximum tested
speed of Mach 2.6, and no unfavorable characteristics in the subsonic range.
A liquid fueled rocket motor was planned for takeoff and to get the aircraft
to ramjet operating speed.Since fuel was in short supply by this stage
in the war, powdered coal was to be used in the ramjet.
Span: 6.0 m (19' 8.4") Length: 6.7 m (22') Max. Speed: 1650 km/h (1025 mph)
Photos of the Lippisch DM-1, an unpowered glider built to test low speed handling for the P.13a....