This design for a heavy fighter originates from 1937/1938. The fuselage
was cigar-shaped, with the broad elliptical wings being mounted low on
the fuselage. Although it looked as if there were two engines, one on each
wing leading edge, this was not the case. A very novel feature for
the E.561 was the way the engines worked. The engines were to be mounted
in the wing root junction with the fuselage, and the four-bladed, variable-pitch
propellers were driven by a shaft. The reason behind this design was that
if one engine failed, then the other engine could drive both propellers
at half speed. Another advantage was that the aircraft could have a sleeker
design with the engines buried in the fusleage-wing junction. Two annular
radiators were located on the front of the small propeller nacelles. The
tail consisted of a horizontal tailplane, with two small fins and rudders
located on the ends. The main landing gear rotated 90 degrees and retracted
to the rear, and the tail wheel could be retracted as well. A four man
crew was chosen: a pilot and co-pilot sat side-by-side, a rear gunner sat
behind them and a final crewman manned the rear gun in the lower rear fuselage.
Armament was to consist of four cannon in the fuselage nose, and twin machine
guns in the rear of the cockpit canopy and in the lower rear fuselage.
The Arado Ar E.561 never progressed past the initial design stage, probably
due to the complicated engine and gearing arrangement.
|No dimension, weight or performance data available|